WesFest 2: A Concert to Benefit the Wes Wehmiller Scholarship at Berklee College Of Music, is available on DVD and all net proceeds will benefit the Wes Wehmiller Scholarship fund.
The fund is named in honor of Wes Wehmiller, a Berklee graduate (1992) and highly accomplished bassist, athlete, and photographer who died of thyroid cancer in January, 2005. The Wes Wehmiller Scholarship is awarded annually to a continuing student at Berklee who best exemplifies the excellence and grace Wes showed as a bassist and as a human being. WesFest 2 originally took place on March 6, 2007, at The Gig in Los Angeles, CA. It was the second annual event in the ongoing WesFest concert series, which has raised over $80,000 to date for the scholarship.
The DVD runs seventy-five minutes and contains live performances captured in professional-quality multi-track audio and video from the following WesFest 2 performers:
- Stu Hamm – Virtuoso solo bassist and WesFest 2 headliner
- The Dirty Janks – Late 60’s/early 70’s-style funky and groovalicious grease, featuring keyboardist Arlan Schierbaum, guitarist Rick Musallam (Mike Keneally Band), bassist Dorian Heartsong (Powerman 5000) and Joe Travers (Zappa Plays Zappa touring band, Mike Keneally Band)
- Danny Mo & The Exciters – featuring 2006 Wehmiller Scholarship award winner Will Snyder, Berklee Bass professor Danny Morris, and legendary R&B drummer James Gadson (Bill Withers).
- Jude Crossen – power pop and even more powerful lead vocals from L.A. session ace and Berklee grad Jude Crossen
- Jariya – all-female eclectic trio blending rock, jazz and electronica, featuring Eve Buigues on searing lead vocals
- The WesFest All-Stars – debut frontman (and frontwoman) performances from WesFest veterans Griff Peters and Tristana Ward (featuring Kira Small)
- Janet Robin – acclaimed veteran Los Angeles singer/songwriter, in a solo performance that righteously opened the show
- I, Claudius – Wes’ former rock band returns, louder and heavier than ever, featuring singer Colin Keenan and guitarist Griff Peters
Bonus DVD features include:
- Intro To Wes (a biography of Wes Wehmiller set to still pictures and music)
- Tribute To Wes (a slideshow that was shown at WesFest 2)
- Band Biographies (pictures, information and weblinks for each performing act, set to music)
- Carrying It On (featuring mission statements for both WesFest and Berklee College Of Music, and invitations to further the goals of WesFest and the scholarship fund, set to music)
“The WesFest 2 DVD, even more so than last year, captures the spirit of the event and empowers the possibility for Wes to inspire future musicians,” says DVD producer Bryan Beller. “This year’s performance shows growth in the size of the event, the quality of the show and recording, and the impact we’re able to have as an organic, living community. The WesFest concert series truly has taken on a life of its own not only for those who knew Wes, but for those who are just now being introduced to him.”
We invite you to support the mission of the WesFest concert series by purchasing this DVD and spreading the good word about the event, so that future WesFests have the potential to be even bigger and more successful than the events before them. Feel free to forward this page to anyone you feel would be interested in supporting the mission of WesFest.
* * * * * * *
The DVD can be purchased for $25, which includes all shipping and handling charges. All net proceeds from this DVD will go to benefit the Wes Wehmiller Scholarship at Berklee College Of Music.